? ??????????????Black Rose Letter? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 4.8 (36 Ratings)??18 Grabs Today. 9335 Total Gr
abs. ??????Get the Code?? ?? ?????Elegant Moment? ????? ?????? ???Rating: 4.3 (64 Ratings)??18 Grabs Today. 17846 Total Grabs. ??????Get the Code?? ?? ???????Spring Is Here!? ????? ?????? ???Rati CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS ?

Monday, March 23, 2009

The White Sheet

Left the school two hours after it ended at 2.30pm. I thought I would be able to finish marking the papers by then, but too bad I was wrong. My mind was heavy with thoughts of the kids at home, I wondered if they have taken their lunch, have they bathe so on and so forth.

I saw, my colleague, Wan Rosna on the field, coaching her hockey team. The day was extremely sunny but she was attired in her Baju Kurung, well, she is a dedicated teacher. For the past few years she has been coaching the netball team, and they have become the defending champion since she took over the coaching of the team. This year, she is put in charge of hockey, perhaps she can do her magic for this team too.

Then, I saw Shahbuddin's car, still parked under the shaddy tree. No sign of leaving the school yet. Encik Shahbuddin is the mastermind behind SMK Aminuddin Baki's unique timetable. This man manages the Examination Unit, the pulse of SAB. Without him, goodnes..I simply cannot imagine how chaotic it is going to be. I hang around at his office nowadays. There are other regulars too, Rasidah, Mizz Mas, Rona, Roni, Mizan and Adzrina, all ladies. We love Shahbuddin's jovial company. He enjoys cooking, decorating and gardening. Above all, he has a great sense of humour. There would be never a day without us having a good laugh when he is around.

When I am up in the staffroom, to pick up my stuff, usually, Kalai would be there to entertain me with stories of her banker hubby and of course her intelligent daughter, Aishwarya. There would be moments when we share our experience clubbing..hahah..for me, the been there done that things. Usually, Len would intercept from her workplace opposite (gracefully loud), perhaps because she too does not want to miss the action. When we are in the mood of being nasty to you-know-who, we would chant our rounds of not-so-nice words, just to relieve ourselves. This would all take place at my workplace.

As I was about to slot my card into the punchcard machine (whatever you call it), the clerk called out my name. She signaled me to take a piece of white sheet of paper from her table. So I obliged. She said, "Nah, Kak Ida simpan sebagai kenangan" (Keep this as a momento).

In my hands was a piece of paper, signed by Her Majesty the Principal. The paper lists all of the duties and responsibilities that I have to shoulder for the year 2009. This is for formality. If I shirk from accomplishing any of the duties stated, I will be made liable for a show cause letter. This is an order, I have been told over and over.

Well, I am only one person, a teacher at school but a wife to my hubby and mother to 4 kids. Phew, I wish it would be that easy, I mean when I am just being the teacher, just one job. Unfortunately, that is not the case here. A teacher is the jack of all treads..she is the teacher, janitor, clerk, typist, nurse, motivator, garderner (in some cases), sports instructor, driver and the list goes on and on..so, when do we actually spend quality time with our students just like our teachers used to do.

Say no more, I would like to share with you my duties for 2009.

1. Secretary General for PTA
2. Teacher Advisor Literary and Debating Club (Niche)
3. Coordinator for Students' Attendance Record for all Lower Forms
4. Chief Assessor (School) for PLBS for PMR
5. Coordinator for the English Language (Form 3)
6. Asst. House Master for Red (sports)
7. Class teacher for 3 Jaya
8. Coordinator for Students of Asrama FELDA Semai Bakti

So what do you think? This does not include all the documentions, reports, marking of exam scripts and other exercises, setting of exam questions, stapling of the exam papers and hundreds of worksheets and the immediate fulfillment of some other ad hoc duties (usually, if there is any VIP visiting, I would be made in charge of the invitation of the VIPs or worse as the Emcee).

Tell me, when is the time for me to sit down peacefully talking to the students. I am thankful for the brief light moments shared with my colleagues, we are not robots programmed to focus on our tasks only, you know.

I am sad to leave school, the students and friends who have fulfilled my life. But I shall not look back as I have no more passion and patience for all these mambo jambos. If you want me to teach, teach I will, but if you want me to enslave my all to this, so sorry, I have to leave.

37 comments:

Naz in Norway said...

So when's your last day? :)

Anonymous said...

you're moving ? :( i miss looking your beautiful baju kebaya and of course you . ahahha and i miss puan kalai :( take care teacher ;D

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Kak Naz,

My last day is on 14th April

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Syareena,

Pn Kalai is doing fine, only that she is sometimes under great stress, we are all under stress at school anyway.

You like looking at my kebaya? Hahah..that's new. No I am not moving school, I am resigning.

You be a good girl, ok

Whitelab Maira said...

All it took was 3 month of teaching practicum to make me cabut from the arena and use my TESL degree somewhere else i.e something that has NOTHING to do with teaching. It took my dad nearly 10 years after that to forgive me for my decision (heck - he's a lecturer and my mom's a teacher..so they expect me to follow foot steps - tak mungkin)

Same reason Ida - the stuff on your white sheets. Too much to handle. I told my mom, teaching is no longer a half a day job ok. Sorry I jenis nak balik rumah tak mau pk keje...I nak kena pk anak, laki, rumahtangga...

SkyJuice said...

Salam Ida,

I was forced by my parents to accept a scholarship for a teaching degree over 14 years ago. I did finish the degree, but left the teaching profession after 6 months. Really not my cup of tea. I'm now pursuing a MSc in one of the fields of my interest – communication, and I love it. :-)

All the best in your future endeavour/career!

SkyJuice said...

Salam Ida,

I was forced by my parents to accept a scholarship for a teaching degree over 14 years ago. I did finish the degree, but left the teaching profession after 6 months. Really not my cup of tea. I'm now pursuing a MSc in one of the fields of my interest – communication, and I love it. :-)

All the best in your future endeavour/career!

Desert Rose said...

Ida,

U gonna be missed a great deal ...

and SAB sure kehilangan sebutir mutiara babe,...

But ....there's a very noble reason for u to leave, all d best Ida dear

Pill Pusher said...

Perhaps you should watch Sidney Portier in 'To sir with love' again.

That might change your mind.

sherry said...

Dear Ida.

Semuga apa yang dirancang berjalan lancar.

lenzaidi said...

To Madam with love.I reserve other things for the better of our comradeship.Missing you already.

hobbit1964 said...

Dear Ida

Web wanderings brought me here and I must be joyful over this fortunate stumbling.

You sound like a regimented government servant, and believe me, I do know the feeling, except that I do not experience the changing of hats dependant on which face I encounter first when I get home.

I too, am on the verge of making a change and getting out into the bigger world where wolves and vermin reign. I believe that you, having survived the event horizon of our education system, will be able to survive anything that life throws at you. All competent people who leave do not do so for a love lost over the craft we weild, but that we as persons have outgrown a system long abandoned of growth itself.

God bless.

tireless mom said...

Hi Ida

If I am one of your students, I will tremendously miss you. SAB as a whole would too. They have lost a gem. However I appreciate your bold step and prioritise your family. Good luck in whatever you do later. SAB's loss is your precious 4's gain.

Anonymous said...

resigning????
seriously?
y?

Anonymous said...

now i get it!!.. Masters.. ok ok..
good good..all the best 2 u! :)

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Faye,

I am one of the few who has not finished marking the answer script, albeit the school holiday.

I brought the papers home, but I just did not want to spend my break doing work. I need a rest.

After the resignation, I know I will be very busy. Busy pun puas hati sebab untuk family, kan.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Sky,

I believe it does not matter what degree you hold. I, myself is not trained in TESL. I obtained a post graduate diploma in TESL, but I am a graduate in Politics.

I will make good use to the experience i have gained and all..I shall not be a desperate housewife, of course.

Good Luck to you, madam.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Kak Eza,

Mutiara lain byk kat sekolah tu, cuma tiada penggilapan yang berkesan..

I am counting my days..

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Tranquility,

I have seen the movie, it is nice is it not?

Too bad the reality is a far cry from what u see on TV.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Sob..sob..Len, I know u r in Melaka now for the Rombongan Cik Kiah dgn Kak Hanim and Kak Anis..enjoy ur time being away from the pressure cooker..hahha..

Sabtu ni you datang itu LDP ka? Sia mau pegi Sarah punya PIBG AGM la..

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Major Jeffrey,

Indeed, it is great to have you here too, commenting on this one.

Phew, what else can I say, sir..my days here are numbered. I am making the most out of it.

The greener pasture to which I am heading is so inviting, despite the wolves and vermin roaming in broad daylight. So be it, sir, God has not created this woman in vain!

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Adinda Fairy,

Itulah hakikatnya, the wind of change is here..

Lee said...

Hi Ida, wow! That program reading it sure can give anyone the heeby jeebies!
Regret to read of your leaving, but you know best....

People often say that this or that person has not yet found himself. But the self is not something one finds, it is something one creates.

You have to leave the city of your comfort and go into the wilderness of your intuition.
What you'll discover will be wonderful. What you'll discover is yourself.

You just keep a song in your heart and enjoy the days to come by. Best regards, Lee.

ray said...

Komen Pak Malim kucing ray yg alim.

Ida,

Lepas 14 April nanti, jumpa saya, kata Pak Malim sambil menyapu kaya. Saya nak beri Ida award, kata Pak Malim sambil masuk ward.

Kwong said...

Well Cikgu, U have set ur priorities to ur family and every body has to accept the fact.
Wish best of Luck & hope we can meetup and share morning coffeetalk the next time..

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Lee,


Tq so much for giving me the boost that I need. I am prepared to face life's challenges like a woman. Still, family comes first, I have spent my life selfishly when I was younger. Now it is time for me to serve my loved ones.

Bringing up a family is the best social service that a person can do to his/ her country.

U take care, sir

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Pak Malim ray kucing yang alim,

Dah lama Pak Malim tak jenguk saya kat sini ya, kata Ida sambil makan pau kaya.

Saya tak harapkan award la, keje seikhlas hati, tapi bila kena buat benda merapu-rapu, saya tak mau, kata Ida sambil makan limau.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Mr Kwong,

I will still visit the school and help out with the debates, if my assistance is still needed.

Oh yes, we can still go lepak for coffee, no problem.

Mama Huptihup said...

sabq ida...tak lama lagi dah kan :D..mesti jantung you berdegup degap menghitung hari...:))

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Lyana..apa khabaq mak aji, dah lama tak jumpa..so glad to see u again..

I sekarang sedy jugak bila mengingatkan kena tinggalkan students dan kengkawan kat sekolah..but life must go on, kan

Small Talk said...

Dear Ida,
I read your earlier post
"A Tribute to Uci". Proud that a 1/4 Rao like you do understand the rawanese dialet.
I am a full blooded Rao but dont really khow the dialet.

Take care & Salam

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Dato' SN,

I am honoured to have u here, sir. Indeed, this virtual world is a small one, tak sangka jumpa another Rawa, Pol. Sec. pulak tu..i guess, Rawas are very successful people..:)

lenzaidi said...

The first thing i did when i reached home just now was to check on you and others in the blog.
Worried you may leave earlier before the the 14th lol.

Trip to Melaka alah Cik Kiah was very fruitful amid the brags i had when 'they' decided to pick me for the 3 day course.Honestly the course is for 'her' and 'him' because they are new to PBS(the school-based assessment for history subject)So i had a whale of time there!

I will be attending other matters this saturday.Got something better to do than to attend the school saturday craps oopss.

Will definitely miss you, this i have to remind myself and you.

Hope you will find the green pasture you are looking for.
C ya Ida.

Ida Hariati Hashim said...

Dear Len,

Went to see her just now, we discussed matters on how to spend the cluster money recklessly, really we must spend the fund by this 31st March.

She reminded me of my fianl day here, still insisting that I cannot leave till surat ministry sampai. Again, I explained to her, about my salary only till 14th April je..haiya berapa kali mau explain daaaa..

esok i tak de..pegi debates kat IIUM

U take care, darling!

lenzaidi said...

Despite of economic recession,I dont understand why the school have to spend the money ie having LDP in a hotel although its not a 4 star-studded hotel.Yes there is a budget.You dont have to spend if you dont have to.Its a waste of money.Really.

Hazlin Nazri said...

Salam Perkenalan Ida,

memang orang rawa punya citarasa yang sama agaknya???

terkejut first time singgah sini from "jari basurek" dan blog kita sama background nya.

Sudi singgah ke blog akak dan kito buleh menyembang banyak tontang asal kito.. urang rawo. Akak link u .

wgd101 said...

salam cikgu Ida,

maaf kerana lewat utk menulis sesuatu kpd cikgu Ida yg byk berjasa kpd anak anak kami di SAB dan juga sbgai S/U PIBG 2008/09.
semoga Allah swt memberi RahmatNya kepada cikgu sekeluarga.
all d best in whatever Cikgu Ida akan buat nanti.....JASA MU TETAP KAMI KENANG HINGGA KE AKHIR HAYAT...Amin....